Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Miscellaneous discussion of Granada's Sherlock Holmes. Anything that doesn't fit in the episode specific forums (which are viewable on registration) belongs here.

Moderators: Lady Halle, Mrs Hudson

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Mme Vernet19 » 19 Jan 2013, 19:45

LilliLovesJB wrote:So thanks to you I can discover also French series!! :D Sorry Mme Vernet, a French-Polish series! :hi:
I read on Wikipedia that the bear's name was also Colargol in France, and that it was aired between 1970 and 1974 on the public TV station ORTF.
You can image that Jeremy the Bear is my favorite name! ;)


:) Yes, it was a French-Polish series, French because of a writer Olga Pouchine and film producer Albert Barillé, and Polish - because of film studio Se-Ma-For where the series was produced. All children in Poland loved these short films! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfC0VheFAo

I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:
Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same. With love S.H.
User avatar
Mme Vernet19
"You little fool"
 
Posts: 776
Joined: 11 Jun 2011, 16:51

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby LilliLovesJB » 19 Jan 2013, 20:37

Mme Vernet19 wrote:
LilliLovesJB wrote:So thanks to you I can discover also French series!! :D Sorry Mme Vernet, a French-Polish series! :hi:
I read on Wikipedia that the bear's name was also Colargol in France, and that it was aired between 1970 and 1974 on the public TV station ORTF.
You can image that Jeremy the Bear is my favorite name! ;)


:) Yes, it was a French-Polish series, French because of a writer Olga Pouchine and film producer Albert Barillé, and Polish - because of film studio Se-Ma-For where the series was produced. All children in Poland loved these short films! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfC0VheFAo

I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:


Thank you for the link! It's so cute! :D
His name was also Jeremy in Ireland! :wub: :wub: :wub:
"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere." (Sherlock Holmes)
http://www.youtube.com/user/LilliLovesJB
User avatar
LilliLovesJB
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Feb 2012, 21:05
Location: Reunion Island

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Piggy0024 » 20 Jan 2013, 12:00

Hello Lilli, it's great to be here, thank you! :hi:

LilliLovesJB wrote:
Mme Vernet19 wrote: :) Yes, it was a French-Polish series, French because of a writer Olga Pouchine and film producer Albert Barillé, and Polish - because of film studio Se-Ma-For where the series was produced. All children in Poland loved these short films! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfC0VheFAo

I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:


Thank you for the link! It's so cute! :D
His name was also Jeremy in Ireland! :wub: :wub: :wub:


So cute! :agree:
Jeremy in Ireland! :wub:
User avatar
Piggy0024
PhD in Brett Studies
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 10:37
Location: Japan

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby LilliLovesJB » 24 Jan 2013, 19:02

Piggy0024 wrote:Hello Lilli, it's great to be here, thank you! :hi:

LilliLovesJB wrote:
Mme Vernet19 wrote: :) Yes, it was a French-Polish series, French because of a writer Olga Pouchine and film producer Albert Barillé, and Polish - because of film studio Se-Ma-For where the series was produced. All children in Poland loved these short films! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfC0VheFAo

I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:


Thank you for the link! It's so cute! :D
His name was also Jeremy in Ireland! :wub: :wub: :wub:


So cute! :agree:
Jeremy in Ireland! :wub:


You're welcome Piggy! :D
"My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere." (Sherlock Holmes)
http://www.youtube.com/user/LilliLovesJB
User avatar
LilliLovesJB
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 464
Joined: 19 Feb 2012, 21:05
Location: Reunion Island

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby ImHolmesick » 30 Jan 2013, 02:44

gypsyluvsjb wrote:I liked Seagrove as Mary Morstan, I thought she played that part very appropriately meloncholy and ladylike. Appropriate for our good Watson :wub:

Barbara Wilshere was very pretty and played her part well I thought. Redgrave (Violet Hunter) didn't seem to fit the Violet Hunter from the Canon, but I thought she was a good match for Holmes regardless. :D

I have been doing research on the whereabouts of the actors/actresses of the Granada series and wondered if anyone in this forum has tried writing to them regarding their memories/experience working in their respective Sherlock Holmes episode? I know David Burke and Edward Hardwicke have been contacted per the other threads; however, has anyone else tried some of the other actors/actresses that starred only once or twice with JB? If you have, please share with us :yay: I will attempt to locate a few of them and post my progress on here. Would anyone else be interested in helping? I bet they would have some really good stories (even if they aren't about our beloved JB) :yay:

Please PM if interested. :hug:

Have you asked our fellow Bretthead Rosalyn Landor AKA Helen Stoner? I know you follow each other on Twitter. And YES! I'm name dropping. :P
Member of The Brettheaded League. @ImaBretthead " I know you share my love for all that is bizarre and outside the conventions of everyday life." Holmes to Watson RedH
http://www.youtube.com/user/ImHolmesick
User avatar
ImHolmesick
The Holmes Heretic
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 10 Feb 2012, 04:06
Location: California USA

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Tripleransom » 30 Jan 2013, 03:23

Unfortunately Natasha Richardson, who played Violet Hunter, died in a skiing accident in 2009. She hit her head, I believe, and had a subdural hematoma. That's the same kind of head trauma that kills many riders who fall without wearing helmets. I believe her death spurred a push to get skiers to wear helmets also - with what degree of success, I don't know.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
User avatar
Tripleransom
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 622
Joined: 26 Jul 2012, 03:06

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Piggy0024 » 03 Feb 2013, 08:48

Acting perfect choice for Purefoy

http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/fil ... 0f31a.html

He finally landed the juvenile lead in an episode of “Sherlock Holmes” with Jeremy Brett and managed to capture a part in a light comedy series, “Coasting.” But he knew nothing about filming and his gig on “Sherlock” lasted only six days.

Brett arranged for him to be on set the entire 30-day shoot, during which time he taught Purefoy about camera lenses, working with close-ups and other special techniques. “Extraordinary little tricks that I’ve used ever since,” he said.

:)

I've already read his gratitude for Jeremy on the shoot on BAFTA4JB website, but I feel happy reading this mention again .
User avatar
Piggy0024
PhD in Brett Studies
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 10:37
Location: Japan

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Mme Vernet19 » 03 Feb 2013, 15:20

Piggy0024 wrote:Acting perfect choice for Purefoy

http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/fil ... 0f31a.html

He finally landed the juvenile lead in an episode of “Sherlock Holmes” with Jeremy Brett and managed to capture a part in a light comedy series, “Coasting.” But he knew nothing about filming and his gig on “Sherlock” lasted only six days.

Brett arranged for him to be on set the entire 30-day shoot, during which time he taught Purefoy about camera lenses, working with close-ups and other special techniques. “Extraordinary little tricks that I’ve used ever since,” he said.

:)

I've already read his gratitude for Jeremy on the shoot on BAFTA4JB website, but I feel happy reading this mention again .


I read it on former BAFTA4J too. Wonderful is to read this again. :wub:

Needless to say how much I like James Purefoy? :)

:hi:
Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same. With love S.H.
User avatar
Mme Vernet19
"You little fool"
 
Posts: 776
Joined: 11 Jun 2011, 16:51

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Tripleransom » 03 Feb 2013, 18:36

How gracious of Purefoy to give credit to JB. And, of course, how typically generous of JB to take him under his wing.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
User avatar
Tripleransom
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 622
Joined: 26 Jul 2012, 03:06

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 06 Feb 2013, 16:34

Mme Vernet19 wrote:
Piggy0024 wrote:Maybe you've watched this video, Mme Vernet. I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53D7kG7phA
About this programme: http://www.jedisparadise.co.uk/1/Barnaby.htm


:yay: I have not seen this before!!!! :yay:
Thank you, Piggy! :D
"The UK version (Barnaby) was named after Colin Jeavons' eldest son." :) :) :)

God bless Colin Jeavons, the best Lestrade ever and great actor. We love you!
:hi:


LilliLovesJB wrote:
Mme Vernet19 wrote:
LilliLovesJB wrote:So thanks to you I can discover also French series!! :D Sorry Mme Vernet, a French-Polish series! :hi:
I read on Wikipedia that the bear's name was also Colargol in France, and that it was aired between 1970 and 1974 on the public TV station ORTF.
You can image that Jeremy the Bear is my favorite name! ;)


:) Yes, it was a French-Polish series, French because of a writer Olga Pouchine and film producer Albert Barillé, and Polish - because of film studio Se-Ma-For where the series was produced. All children in Poland loved these short films! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfC0VheFAo

I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:


Thank you for the link! It's so cute! :D
His name was also Jeremy in Ireland! :wub: :wub: :wub:


;drool: I didn't know he was voiced by Colin Jeavons in UK! :D
Believe it or not, this animated series once aired in China. The Chinese title is "小熊杰里米", which means "Jeremy the Bear" :D So, his name is also Jeremy in China~
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Piggy0024 » 07 Feb 2013, 13:06

Goodnightsherlock wrote:
LilliLovesJB wrote:
Mme Vernet19 wrote:I had no idea that in Canada his name was Jeremy! :wub: :wub: :wub:
:hi:


Thank you for the link! It's so cute! :D
His name was also Jeremy in Ireland! :wub: :wub: :wub:


;drool: I didn't know he was voiced by Colin Jeavons in UK! :D
Believe it or not, this animated series once aired in China. The Chinese title is "小熊杰里米", which means "Jeremy the Bear" :D So, his name is also Jeremy in China~

Wow, how wonderful! Thank you for the information, Goodnightsherlock! :hi: And Jeremy is "杰里米" in China! :)

As far as I know, the programme has not been aired in Japan.
User avatar
Piggy0024
PhD in Brett Studies
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 10:37
Location: Japan

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 13 Feb 2013, 05:14

I uploaded a video on youtube three years ago, but because youtube is been blocked in China, I didn't use this account any more, but I think you may be interested in this.
This is a clip from "Elementary My Dear Viewer", a documentary hosted by Richard E. Grant, He interviewed some actors who worked with Jeremy Brett like: Edward Hardwicke、Robert Hardy(Charles Milverton in "The Master Blackmailer")、Barbara Young(Susan in "The Three Gables") and Denise Black(Carrie Evans in "Shoscombe Old Place")
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Here is the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xlE2ovV0vM0
Mirror link:http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/OYK1BmO-4GM/?fr=rec1
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 13 Feb 2013, 05:47

Image
Image
Image
And I believe most of you had already seen "A Study in Sherlock", BBC interviewed Michael Cox and Edward Hardwicke, this documentary also include an archive footage of Jeremy Brett on "Wogan Show"
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvU9Lry9Q4
Mirror link:http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/FXIHcj0mA2E/
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 13 Feb 2013, 06:33

Image
Image
Here are two clips from "The People s Detective Part6", also include a little interview of Edward Hardwicke:
http://www.56.com/u50/v_ODY1MzI0NjM.html
http://www.56.com/u28/v_ODY1MzI3MDU.html
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Mme Vernet19 » 13 Feb 2013, 15:50

Thank you Goodnightsherlock, you are invaluable, as always. :hug:

Thank you for screencaps and links.
I have all these documentary programms and and I appreciate them very much! It's great to be able to hear what and how Jeremy's film partners and friends talk about him.

As for "The People Detective": I think is no equilibrium between Granada Sherlock Holmes and Poirot in this documentary. First, David Suchet lives and he can talk about his character, the series is still being produced. Shown here much more great scenes with David Suchet than with Jeremy Brett! Scenes with Jeremy are cut off in half, I don't know why? It is as if the authors of the film wanted to not show the artistry of Jeremy. I think"The People Detective" is very biased and unfair. :( :huh:

I would like to remind another docu "The Shackles of Sherlock", a film about Conan Doyle - host by David Burke! :)

:hi: :hi: :hi:
Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same. With love S.H.
User avatar
Mme Vernet19
"You little fool"
 
Posts: 776
Joined: 11 Jun 2011, 16:51

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 13 Feb 2013, 16:44

Mme Vernet19 wrote:As for "The People Detective": I think is no equilibrium between Granada Sherlock Holmes and Poirot in this documentary. First, David Suchet lives and he can talk about his character, the series is still being produced. Shown here much more great scenes with David Suchet than with Jeremy Brett! Scenes with Jeremy are cut off in half, I don't know why? It is as if the authors of the film wanted to not show the artistry of Jeremy. I think"The People Detective" is very biased and unfair. :( :huh:

I would like to remind another docu "The Shackles of Sherlock", a film about Conan Doyle - host by David Burke! :)

:hi: :hi: :hi:


Yes, I couldn't agree with you more, Mme Vernet ! David Suchet will complete his Poirot series this year, but our Jeremy didn't have that luck, and I don't like "The People Detective" either, I watched the Part1 and Part6, really disappoint about this documentary.

I saw "The Shackles of Sherlock" and so happy to see David Burke(I must confess it's a little strange to see he without beard), but it's a pitty that "The Shackles of Sherlock" is only about Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, Jeremy is not even mentioned, only some archive footages from the series. :(

In 1995, David Burke played Dr Watson again in "Sherlock Holmes: The Great Detective", sadly, there is nothing about Jeremy.
Image
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby LeeALynn » 14 Feb 2013, 02:36

Thank you Goodnightsherlock for posting these wonderful clips and screencaps. I hadn't seen some of these and I love that you've put up only those clips which are relevant to Jeremy and the Granada series. You are a treasure!! :hug: :hug:
Sitting in the cozy chair with Jeremy...
User avatar
LeeALynn
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 552
Joined: 26 Apr 2012, 13:27
Location: Canada

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby DIOGENES » 14 Feb 2013, 10:54

Thanks for posting these Goodnightsherlock, you're a treasure! :hug:
DIOGENES
A Singular Problem
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: 27 May 2011, 13:02

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Goodnightsherlock » 18 Feb 2013, 14:35

Image
Just find another documentary "Top of the Cops", Tim Pigott-Smith, who played Sherlock Holmes in radio drama, talked about Jeremy Brett's Sherlock
Here is the link:http://www.56.com/u54/v_ODY3NzI3OTU.html
Image
And I was so suprised to see Jeremy Paul appeard, but his was talking about antoher TV series "Maigret".
User avatar
Goodnightsherlock
Regular Twinkler
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 09 Sep 2011, 09:12
Location: China

Re: Granada's Sherlock Holmes - The Cast

Postby Tripleransom » 18 Feb 2013, 16:17

What a nice tribute from Tim Piggot-Smith. You score again GoodnightSherlock! Thanks for posting.


While I'm on the subject, I don't know how many of you know LiveJournal, but the Sherlock60 group over there has a discussion each week of a different Canon story, with a separate place for discussion of the Granada ep (when there is one) This week is The Naval Treaty, so of course, there's some amount of chat about Jeremy in that while linen suit. You might want to slide on over there and join in or just appreciate! Here's the link: http://sherlock60.livejournal.com/2013/02/17/

There are also 60 word ficlets for each story Including some by your truly. So slide on over, read, or join in the discussion.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
User avatar
Tripleransom
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 622
Joined: 26 Jul 2012, 03:06

PreviousNext

Return to The Damaged Penguin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests