Martin Clunes on 'Desert Island Discs'

Discuss anything you like here within reason.

Moderators: Lady Halle, Mrs Hudson

Martin Clunes on 'Desert Island Discs'

Postby Lady Ovleisure » 17 Sep 2011, 13:00

Good Day, Fellow Brettfans!

Just wanted to let you all know that Jeremy's (2nd?) cousin, Martin Clunes, will be Kirsty Young's guest on BBC Radio 4's 'Desert Island Discs' at 11.15 tomorrow morning (Sun. 18th September 2011).

I don't necessarily think that he will mention our dear JB but it should be an interesting & amusing 45 mins. all the same?! I've just heard a trailer & he had Kirsty in stitches over where he should be sitting!

I believe the programme will also be available on BBC iPlayer, for those of you who live outside the UK .... I've never used the facility myself, as our elderly Mac won't allow me to??! Anyway, enjoy the show & maybe we can share our thoughts on it in the coming days .....

Tally-ho, Lady O. :hi:
Sherlock: "Oh ... MRS HUDSON!!!" (flapping a large map frustratedly over a table laden with tea things). "Mrs Hudson, you know you are hideously in the way". Mrs H: "I'm sorry Sir but I only have one pair of hands!"
Lady Ovleisure
The Other Woman

Re: Martin Clunes on 'Desert Island Discs'

Postby Rebecca Wilde » 17 Sep 2011, 15:38

Thanks for the heads up. I really like Martin Clunes. :)

*sings* "Martin Clunes, Martin Clunes, ding ding ding, Martin Clunes..."

If you have ever seen 'Come Fly With Me' you will be familiar with the Martin Clunes song made by two crazy but sweet fictional fans! :D
“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” ― C. JoyBell C.

Friend me on facebook - click here!
Rebecca Wilde
Former Mother of JBINFO

Postby Lady Ovleisure » 17 Sep 2011, 16:34

Rebecca Wilde wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I really like Martin Clunes. :)

*sings* "Martin Clunes, Martin Clunes, ding ding ding, Martin Clunes..."

If you have ever seen 'Come Fly With Me' you will be familiar with the Martin Clunes song made by two crazy but sweet fictional fans! :D

Oh god, yes! Is it sung by Matt Lucas & David Walliams dressed up as Japanese schoolgirls??! I wasn't overly struck by the series but those particular characters were pretty funny!! :lol:
Sherlock: "Oh ... MRS HUDSON!!!" (flapping a large map frustratedly over a table laden with tea things). "Mrs Hudson, you know you are hideously in the way". Mrs H: "I'm sorry Sir but I only have one pair of hands!"
Lady Ovleisure
The Other Woman

Postby Rebecca Wilde » 17 Sep 2011, 18:30

I couldn't stand 'Little Britain' but I found bits of 'Come Fly With Me' quite amusing, though I wouldn't say it was a must watch, but the Martin Clunes fans were the best. :D
“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” ― C. JoyBell C.

Rebecca Wilde
Former Mother of JBINFO

Postby Lady Ovleisure » 18 Sep 2011, 13:26

Oh, isn't Martin Clunes a lovely chap!!? I really enjoyed his "Desert Island Discs", even if the music wasn't always quite to my taste (I'm in total agreement with his wife & daughter who apparently leave the room whenever he puts Frank Zappa on the turntable! Since I imposed the 'Zappa ban' in our household, my partner has resorted to playing him either in the car or at work - but then he does own a record shop!!). Anyway, back to dear Martin ....

He seems such a gentle, caring soul ..... full of fun & a great advocate of laughter (I loved his admission that when he was younger he'd do anything ... including lighting farts!! ... to get a laugh!). And I also love his obvious devotion to animals .... he & his family have quite a menagerie at home, what with all those horses, sheep, chickens & dogs .... I wonder if his dog-loving cousin Jeremy had anything to do with this side to his nature??

I was so pleased that Kirsty Young brought Jeremy into the discussion ... for a while I thought only Martin's very close family would be mentioned ... but then, having lost his father at such a young age, perhaps an older & possibly wiser cousin was able to fill the gap a little? Whatever, it was clear that Martin felt nothing but affection & admiration for Jeremy, suggesting once again that JB was able to instantly light up a room & make everyone feel good about themselves. He brought up the 'ear-pinning' offer too, which I always find amusing ..... Jeremy was so considerate & genuinely concerned for him - no doubt because of his own personal battles with speech impediments & shyness.

Interesting that both men clearly had a tough time at boarding school & weren't particularly suited to the regime. The references to canings/beatings were certainly disturbing ..... and even though Martin is now able to make light of his bed-wetting, it must have been mortifying for him at the time & a reason for him to be an easy target for teasing/bullying you'd imagine (an aspect which Jeremy would have understood all too well?). :(

The comment about his mother sending Martin off to boarding school when his father died because she was worried that living in an all-female household would 'turn him gay' is extraordinary! One wonders if cousin Jeremy's homosexual/bisexuality was by then common knowledge, within the family at least, and whether Mrs Clunes had some rather odd, misguided ideas about how her son might also 'catch it'?!

I was interested & heartened to learn that Martin remains in regular close contact with David Huggins .... they are of a similar age I believe. Hopefully they're able to share many happy & amusing memories of dear ol' Jeremy .... oh, how I'd love to be a fly on the wall?!! :D

Anyway, I do hope you all manage to listen in to the show .... it's repeated at 9am on Fri. 23rd Sept. (BBC Radio 4). I'd like to get a copy of it, as I didn't take in all the details .... would it be something you'd want to make available on the JB Info. site, Rebecca? :huh:
Lady Ovleisure
The Other Woman

Postby Mme Vernet19 » 18 Sep 2011, 20:28

Lady Ovleisure wrote:Anyway, I do hope you all manage to listen in to the show .... it's repeated at 9am on Fri. 23rd Sept. (BBC Radio 4). I'd like to get a copy of it, as I didn't take in all the details .... would it be something you'd want to make available on the JB Info. site, Rebecca? :huh:

I would be happy to hear it also, Rebecca... :hug:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... aumas.html

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/271 ... rrifies-me
Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same. With love S.H.
Mme Vernet19
"You little fool"

Postby Rebecca Wilde » 18 Sep 2011, 21:11

Lady Ovleisure wrote:
Anyway, I do hope you all manage to listen in to the show .... it's repeated at 9am on Fri. 23rd Sept. (BBC Radio 4). I'd like to get a copy of it, as I didn't take in all the details .... would it be something you'd want to make available on the JB Info. site, Rebecca? :huh:

Yes. I'd love a copy for the website.

I sadly didn't get to hear it myself. I can't record it but if someone can I'll be happy to upload it.

Rebecca Wilde
Former Mother of JBINFO

Postby Piggy0024 » 23 Sep 2011, 07:39

You can download from the BBC website. :) The file size is 32.4 MB.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/de ... d#b014m6rc
Piggy0024
PhD in Brett Studies

Postby Rebecca Wilde » 23 Sep 2011, 14:09

Dear Piggy, what would we do without you! :hug:

Rebecca Wilde
Former Mother of JBINFO

Postby DIOGENES » 23 Sep 2011, 15:47

Thanks for the info Piggy! :D
DIOGENES
A Singular Problem

Postby SierraTango123 » 24 Sep 2011, 15:13

Thanks for all the information regarding this interesting desert island castaway. I was pleased to hear that Martin Clunes' music choices were an eclectic mix. His interview was eye-opening, touching and very educational.

I'm really enjoying the new series of comedy drama ITV1 series 'Doc Martin'. Any other viewers here? The stories are entertaining and the Cornish scenary is stunning and, shhhh, I must confess that I may have a little crush on PC Joe Penhale. My goodness... the scene in the shower. Steamy or what! Anyway, I was lucky enough to spend a few weeks in a caravan in a field in North Cornwall last July (trust me... it is heaven!) and enjoyed a day at Port Issac, a.k.a. "Portwenn" - the little fishing harbour where they film 'Doc Martin'. I could hardly believe it when I stepped off the bus, walked a little way down the street and saw cameras, lots of people and, actually being filmed, Martin Clunes striding out across the street. :shock: :shock: :shock: :hi:

We also spotted one of the 10-piece sea shanty singing sensations, Fisherman's Friends, standing outside his shop (The Boathouse). I saw the one with the big moustache, Jon Cleave. He was very firendly. The group have amazing voices and it's well worth a visit to The Platt on a Friday night to hear them sing live. Here is their official website: http://portisaacsfishermansfriends.com/

It was an incredible day, most of which was spent leaning over a wall trying to get a clear view of Martin Clunes preparing to film a scene whilst precariously perched high up on the roof of the school! Look out for this scene when it comes on TV... you read it here first! :D
SierraTango123
Consulting Brettective

Return to Off Topic